Until the 19th century, blue was the common color found with Saint Patrick. The color green became a symbol for Ireland because of its abundant green landscape. The color has become a national color of Ireland and is thought to bring luck to those who wear it. On Saint Patrick's Day, Irish children began the tradition of pinching those who forgot to wear green. So be sure to not forget your green on March 17th!!
Monday, March 10, 2008
Why do we wear green?
Until the 19th century, blue was the common color found with Saint Patrick. The color green became a symbol for Ireland because of its abundant green landscape. The color has become a national color of Ireland and is thought to bring luck to those who wear it. On Saint Patrick's Day, Irish children began the tradition of pinching those who forgot to wear green. So be sure to not forget your green on March 17th!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
This is very interseting to know. I think it would be extremely weird if St. Patricks day was filled with blue. Green is less popular than blue when it comes to clothing in my opinion and without the green it would definatly not be a true St. Patrick's Day to me. I think the tradition of the pinching is unique as well, honestly when are kids allowed to actually cause pain for one another and it be accepted?
Lyn,
Great work. Kids love St. Patrick's Day so you could use this as part of a religion lesson or just for fun! Grade: 100/100
Ms A
I agree with Jennifer. It would be soo strange to wear blue on St. Patrick's Day. This was really informative and I learned a lot. I know my kids would be facinated by this because they LOVE St. Patrick's Day with all of the "tricks" that the leprechauns (spelling) play. This was a really good idea Lyn!
and also with you ;) (comment made because you said the peace be with you!just thought i would add a little humor) anyways your blog is so creative adn i enjoyed looking at it!
Lyn I love this!!! Coming from someone who is part Irish I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know half of this stuff. I love your theme and you really did a good job with organization and using very interesting information.
Post a Comment